Wikipedia

Search results

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Is it a squirrel? Is it a monkey?

I found interesting when I saw it at my national zoo. So, I do some researches on it and here's the results.

Squirrel Monkey


So, when i saw this little fellow at the zoo, I stared at it for a long time. I was thinking that is it a squirrel or a monkey. But, we can apparently see that it is a monkey. And here's the researched that I found in these two days.

Physical Description

  Squirrel monkeys have short fur and usually the fur are olive colour at the shoulder and yellowish orange colour at the back. Their throat and ears are white while their mouth are black in colour. And due to their white and black face, they have a name called "death's head monkey". They can be 25 until 35 cm tall. The male squirrel monkey can weigh as much as 750 to 1100 kg while the female can weigh as much as 500 to 750 kg. They also have a long , hairy tail that can be 35 to 42 cm long.

Behaviour and Ecology

Squirrel Monkey and New World Monkey

  The squirrel monkeys are just like the New World monkey, they are both diurnal ( activity at the day and sleep at the night) and arboreal (usually like to be on the tree). However, they are still some difference between squirrel monkey and the New World monkey. Unlike the New World monkey, squirrel monkeys don't use their tails for climbing, instead they used it as a tool for balance. Furthermore, they can move rapidly between branches to branches.

Home Making

  They love to live in a large group until it contains an amount of 500 monkeys! That will be so cute! This is useful because they can use their voice to warn other monkeys from falcon. For marking territory (home), they usually rub urine on their tail and body.

Eating Habits

  Squirrel monkeys are omnivores. They eating primarily fruits and insects. They will also eat seeds, flowers, leaves etc.

I think that's all I can get. I don't really want to write about the giving birth for female, but if you are interested with it, you can check it on the wikipedia.

I hope you enjoy this posts. I don't know should I keep it short, so leave a comment below for suggestion. I think here the end, I will see you in the next posts, bye.



No comments:

Post a Comment